Know what you want
Figure out what’s important – today and tomorrow
- Security. Deposit insurance and secure computer systems are a must.
- Access. What do you need in the way of branches, ATMs, and on-line banking?
- Services. What do you need in the way of multiple accounts, bill paying, cashier’s checks/money orders and transfers, loan options, and customer service?
Fees & Rates
Know the fees you’ll pay for the features you want
- Fees vary widely. A checking account that meets your needs could be free at one bank and cost $10 a month at another. Bounced checks could cost $10 at one bank and $35 at another. These differences add up. So know your needs and habits, and their cost at different banks.
- Interest rates also vary, though much less than fees. If you plan to deposit a lot or borrow a lot at this particular bank, these differences can also be quite significant.
Find the Best Deal
You can quickly compare bank fees, rates, & services online
You can print out and use the worksheet below to help identify your needs and the best way to meet them.
|Bank Score Card||Importance today||Importance tomorrow||Bank Score|
|Direct deposit of paycheck|
|Branch location and hours|
|Cashier’s checks/money orders/ Wire transfers|
|Free linked accounts|
|Quality of customer service|
|Bank Score|| |
Open an Account
Visit your local bank during business hours. Bring along:
- Your drivers license or government ID.
- Your Social Security card or other proof of your Social Security number.
- A utility bill or lease that was sent to your home address.
- A check, cash, or money order for an initial deposit.
To open an account on-line, go to the online bank of your choice and follow their directions!
Get it done
Nothing Happens Unless You Make it Happen
Print out this How-To and put reminders in your calendar to help you move from How-To to Done!